Students Campus Life
Orientation: – “Orientation” includes introductory sessions/events organized and delivered by Campus Orientation Teams to acquaint students with and provide information and assistance to new students about the various social settings and campus life so that they will be aware of and be familiar with university life at the beginning of their University life.
- acquaint new students with the wide range of issues facing them as University of Gondar students, including factors affecting their personal safety
- Introduce the variety of student services that are available on campus so that students feel able to navigate the university on their own
- Assist the students in understanding rules, regulations and policies
- Acquaint students with the university’s mission and goals and assist them in understanding how these relate to their life goals.
- Assist them in discovering how to avoid potential problems and in identifying where to find help when they need it.
- Introduce them to the strategies that will help them get on to a good start.
- Create a campus atmosphere that reduces anxiety and stimulates attractive learning environment.
- Enhance student critical thinking, social and leadership skills.
- Organizing Campus Orientation Unit (Orientation Staff) from relevant departments
- Establishing Information Desks at convenient sites (entrance)
- Preparing properly decorated venue with welcoming quotes which will be able to accommodate large number of students
- Inviting resource persons who would share their experiences
- Preparing Coordinators (recruiting volunteers from senior students)
- Preparing brochures, student guide books, site maps, (Disseminated Materials)
- Erecting direction indicators/labeled pointers in different places on campus
- Planning and organizing a favorable program enhanced with entertainment.
- Providing audio-visual equipment such as sound magnifier, projector, DVD player and music CD
- During arrival/orientation session
- Reception Teams shall set up a conspicuous temporary Reception Desk as prescribed by university authority each year at train stations/central bus stops. New students from Gondar and around near to Gondar town are expected to report to their respective campuses;
- In collaboration with bus/air station managers, reception teams shall announce their location at reasonable intervals to direct new University of Gondar temporary stations
- Reception teams will sort and dispatch new arriving University of Gondar students to their respective campuses using University of Gondar vehicles.
- On their arrival at their respective campuses, the new students shall be received at the main gate and escorted to the Institution premises and the Information desk
- Campus Orientation staff will contact them with voluntary students and guide them to the hall, welcoming them with music, handshakes and dissemination of brochures, handbooks and other printed materials
- The on-arrival orientation will be held in the hall booked and arranged for the purpose by the respective campus orientation staff/unit
- On-arrival orientation sessions will be conducted on the day of their arrival as decided by the responsible office and for subsequent days.
- Refreshment will also be served during orientation sessions
- At the end of each orientation session, the students shall be taken to tour the campus, meet their roommates, engage with members of the faculty and staff, and learn about other areas of interest, such as the various clubs, the volunteer center, and student leadership opportunities.
- There will be evening programs/entertainment which will offer students a chance to gather with classmates.
- They will also be introduced to university protocols (the do’s and don’ts) of campus life – academic, institutional and social. Then, they will become a part of and have a sense of esprit de corps about University of Gondar.